Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Welcome to my Studio...



For the past four years I have been living and working in northeast Florida at Atlantic Pottery Supply. I think the best way to introduce myself starts in my studio. First, my apron collection, I always pick out an apron when I arrive at my studio, and I usually match it to my clothing....ridiculous, I know, but part of my process. To the left are some of the more delicate and less wearable type. Above are the functional ones, highlights include the rooster with the rhinestone eye, and I saw the apple apron worn by one of the crazy head wives on "Big Love". That pretty much made my weekend! Said apron was also given to me by a student which ups it's special factor. Sometimes I am jealous of my friends who get to dress up to go to work, and I am always dirty, I remedy this with a fabulous collection of aprons, go ahead be jealous!

Besides looking fabulous or fabulouso as my former boss used to say, I do actually make things in the studio. Most of my forms start on this kickwheel that I purchased from a friend while I was still in school. I think I paid about $120 dollars for it, on a whim, I had never even tried a kickwheel. This was worth every penny and more! I've had it for 6 years now. I am considering getting an electric wheel for bigger pieces, and the occasional terra cotta series, this one is impossible to clean, and will always be a porcelain wheel. I like using a kickwheel, because it's much quieter. Somewhere along the line I developed a ridiculous aversion to annoying noises, we all have our quirks I suppose....



No comments:

Post a Comment